Although, like Beef Rendang, this thick curry dish originated in Western Java, it's now one of those dishes you'll find in just about any Indonesian restaurant. This style is very similar to thick Thai curries, but the tomato base as well as turmeric mark out more western and South Asian influences than you see in Thai cuisine.
|Chicken (thigh meat)||1 kg / 2 lbs||Cut in 1 inch cubes|
|Lime juice||110 ml / ½ c|
|Tomatoes||250 g / ½ lb|
|Water||220 ml / 1 c|
|Small red chilies||3||Seeded and sliced in strips|
|Fresh ginger||2 tsp||Grated|
|Ground turmeric||1 tsp|
|Coconut cream||220 ml / 1 cc|
- Combine the chicken and lime juice. Set aside and allow to marinate for about 1 hour.
- Chop the tomatoes, combine with the water and blend in a food processor until smooth. Strain into a pan.
- Add the spices and chicken, including the lime juice, to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- stir in the coconut cream and simmer, uncovered, for another 10 minutes.
- Remove the lemongrass stalk before serving. Serve with rice.