My mother wasn't a great cook. She was competent enough, but not very creative. This is one of a handful of recipes I copied from her card file before I first left the states. I have no idea where this originated. It's an unusual recipe, and one I haven't seen replicated in the varied bakery scene in contemporary Portland. Perhaps that's because of the unusual preparation method. You really do need to use a meat grinder to get the orange and dates chopped and combined with the right consistency. I've tried using a food processor but it doesn't really do the job. Fortunately I found a cheap hand-cranked grinder on Amazon. It's mostly plastic but it does the job.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 9"x13" pan.
- Juice the orange. Add a half cup of sugar to the juice and set aside.
- Put the orange rind and dates through a food grinder together.
- Combine the ingredients in the order shown.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- While the cake is still warm, spoon the orange juice and sugar mixture over it to form a glaze.
Servings Per Recipe 18
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories 186||Calories from Fat 58|
|Total Fat 6g||10%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 30g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||5%|
|Total Sugars 17g|