Spiced Rum Cake
Although you could really make this cake any time of year, it always seems like a good fit for the holidays to me. While it's relatively simple to make, there's still a bit of a wow factor to it, especially when they taste it. You can experiement with different rums (light, dark or even spiced). I've also liked adding some ginger bits to the nut lining.
|1 1/2||tsp||Baking soda|
- Preheat oven to 325°
- Grease well a deep bundt pan and line the bottom with the chopped walnuts.
- Melt the half-cup of butter in a pan large enough for all ingredients. Set aside to cool.
- Mix together brown sugar and egg. Add to cooled butter.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, salt and spices.
- Combine honey, rum and hot water.
- Add honey mixture and dry ingredients alternately to butter-egg pot. Stir until well combined.
- Pour into bundt pan and bake 1 hour.
- Cool cake for 10 minutes.
- Prick top of cake with a long-tinned fork. Turn out onto a plate and prick sides and top.
- Melt butter over low medium heat
- Add water and sugar, and bring to a boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in rum.
- Spoon glaze over top of cake.
- Wait for glaze to soak in, and then repeat. Keep repeating until all the glaze is used.
Servings Per Recipe 16
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories 285||Calories from Fat 99|
|Total Fat 11g||17%|
|Trans Fat 1g|
|Total Carbohydrate 40g||13%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||5%|
|Total Sugars 29g|